Saturday, January 25, 2014

Looking for a unique way to build trust?

It may sound ludicrous, but researchers from Harvard and UPenn maintain that by using a simple phrase, you can enhance your trustworthiness.  In a series of studies, the researchers explored the power of apology – that is, the degree to which a simple apology (“I’m so sorry”) can make a person appear more trustworthy. 

Why do people apologize? Typically, of course, it’s when they’re to blame (“I’m so sorry that I’m late”).   And prior research demonstrates that people who apologize indeed are considered more favorably (in terms of likeability and “benevolence-based trust”). But researchers Alison Brooks, Hengchen Dai and Maurice Schweitzer chose to examine an entirely different kind of apology – one they call “superfluous apology” in which people apologize for things over which they have no control (“I’m so sorry that it’s raining,” or “I’m sorry that about the heavy traffic”).

Apparently, a superfluous apology (“I’m so sorry that your flight was delayed”) has far more impact than a simple “How are you?” or “I’m sorry to interrupt”. Sounds crazy, no?

Here’s how one of the studies worked: an individual walked up to strangers (one by one) in a Northeastern train station and asked to borrow their cell phone (important note: it was raining outside).  In approaching the strangers, the individual used one of two scripts – script #1: “I’m so sorry about the rain! Can I borrow your cell phone?” Script #2: “Can I borrow your cell phone?”   The researchers found that when script #1 was used, 47% of the strangers offered their cell phone, but when script #2 was used, just 9% of the strangers said yes.  Why such a significant difference?

Said the researchers: “Results from their field study reveal that a face-to-face superfluous apology increases trusting behavior.  Strangers were more likely to hand their cell phone to a confederate when the confederate apologized for the rain than when he did not.” Added the researchers: “Issuing a superfluous apology demonstrates empathetic concern for the victim and increases the victim’s trust in the apologizer.”

They added: “Across our studies, we identify significant benefits to apologizing. Superfluous apologies represent a powerful and easy-to-use tool for social influence. Even in the absence of culpability, individuals can increase trust and liking by saying ‘I’m sorry’ even if they are merely ‘sorry’ about the rain.”

The word “sorry”, of course, is commonly used in two distinct ways. Compare the following: “I’m sorry that I broke your beautiful vase” (fault) vs. “I’m sorry that your beautiful vase is broken” (superfluous).  I refer to these as “sorry #1” and “sorry #2,” yet they’re often confused.  Consider this verbal exchange: “I’m sorry that your car isn’t working,” to which the person responds: “Oh, it’s not your fault.” Of course, we knew that – we were simply offering a superfluous apology to let the person know that we care. To recap: Sorry #1 is when we’re to blame (“I’m sorry that I forget to pick up the milk”), while sorry #2 is apologizing for things out of our control (the most dramatic, of course, is: “I’m sorry for your loss”). 

Are there any drawbacks to apologizing?   Said the researchers: “. . . [S]ome prior work suggests that apologizing may have drawbacks. . . . For example, Tannen conjectures that apologies may harm perceived power and competence, especially for women. Consequently, in addition to measuring empathy and benevolence-based trust, we also explore how superfluous apologies influence perceptions of power and competence-based trust . . . . ” In the current set of studies, the researchers said they identified no drawbacks, yet noted: “Still, it is quite possible that the repeated use of superfluous apologies or the delivery of a superfluous apology that appears insincere may yield different results.”

Final note: I’m sorry that this column is so long (definitely, my fault), and sorry about this terrible cold snap we're having.   


##

No comments:

Post a Comment