Sunday, July 26, 2015

How do you describe yourself?

“We’re like onions, and we have layers.” – Shrek

How do you describe yourself?

Are you cautious or care-free? Decisive or indecisive? An introvert or extrovert?

Humans love to label, and labels fall easily from our lips. We label everything in our path – from habits and character traits to style, tempo and drive.

But why? What compels us to do this? Are we not, as human beings, dynamic creatures who are constantly evolving? If so, why stick a label on it?  Leading to this nagging question: do self-imposed labels serve us well?  Or do they limit our ability to change and grow?

In today’s high octane culture, enveloped by intense media scrutiny (of every one, and every thing!), it’s difficult not to classify (e.g., he’s lazy, she’s a math whiz, he’s so forgetful), not just others, but ourselves (I’m not a risk taker, I’m too shy).  But do they serve us well?

I vote no. I maintain that labels, by and large, inhibit our growth and impede our ability to make the most of our lives. They limit us. They restrict us. They make it more difficult for mid-course corrections.

Part of the problem, of course, is the binary nature of self-evaluation. It’s common to describe people – and ourselves – as introvert/extrovert, optimist/pessimist, Type A/Type B, Republican/ Democrat, high maintenance/low maintenance.  Why, pray tell, are there only two categories?

A search of the literature finds some breaks in the binary stranglehold (ambiverts are now a recognized category, and I recently discovered what it means to be a Type C and Type D personality). Even Myers-Briggs, which graciously offers us 16 categories, hinges on a binary framework – introversion/extroversion, sensing/intuition, thinking/feeling and judging/perceiving.

Aren’t humans a little more complex than that?

Which brings us to this brilliant piece written by a young woman who was asked, simply: “How do you classify yourself?” (her answer appeared on the website www.worldinconversation.org):

“I don’t like labels. In my opinion, people are people. Everyone has differences and everyone has similarities. As Shrek says, we’re like onions and we have layers. Why would anyone want to define himself or herself by just one of those layers? Labels have started wars, torn families apart, and caused heartache. I like to think that I’m made up of many things, and that just one thing doesn’t define me. However, for the sake of the prompt, these are what define me:

“I am a single white female. I am German and Hungarian. I am a sister, daughter, niece, granddaughter, great niece, and cousin. In the summer, I’m a child-care provider. The rest of the year, I’m a poor college kid. I’m a musician: I play trumpet, piano, and ukulele. I am a ballet, tap, and swing dancer. I’m a singer, an alto to be specific. I am a connoisseur of Lindor truffles, peach pie, Doritos, and raspberry smoothies. I am a lover of oldies’ music, high-heels, and vintage clothes. I’m an avid celebrity-rag reader. I’m a Jack Benny Program listener. I’m a collector of Smokey Bear paraphernalia, post-cards, Broadway show pins, and Snapple caps. I am a member of the Pennsylvania State Marching Blue band and the a capella group, Blue in the FACE. I am a world explorer.

“I am imperfect. I’m a crybaby. I am a complainer. I am a devil’s advocate. I’m a prep. I am indecisive. I’m a ‘goody-two-shoes.’ I’m a band geek. I’m a Harry Potter junkie. I am enthusiastic and loud when it’s not socially acceptable. I’m a lover of horribly written Meg Cabot novels like The Princess Diaries series. I’m a nervous giggler in inappropriate situations. I’m a too-cautious driver (and it caused me to have my first accident not too long ago)! I’m a grudge-holder when someone hurts my sisters.

“I am both an introvert and an extrovert given the right setting. I am a procrastinator and an over-achiever. I am a winter-lover and summer-baby. I love old people and toddlers. I love kids, but I don’t want kids. I both love and hate Walmart, but mostly hate. I’m am both an individualist and conformist.

“I am a left-wing bleeding-heart liberal. I’m a citizen of the world. I’m an advocate for the ONE Campaign, the campaign to make poverty history. I am pro-choice and anti-guns. I am a believer in the good in people. I am a Lutheran who believes in karma. I’m a registered democrat who has not missed an election yet. I am a strong-willed democrat. I am a fan of the Golden Rule. I’m a dreamer, pacifist, optimist. I’m a lover, not a fighter. I am nothing less than all of this. I am me.”

##


No comments:

Post a Comment